Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Autumn Harvest Stuffed Squash

It's been a very long while since I have posted any recipes. While visiting California last week I was inspired to start creating again. I have went to a more"natural" or "whole" way of eating so some of my previous recipes are no longer used it my house as is- but less refined and more whole. I strive to eat a lot of raw foods, which I hope to share in the coming months as well! OK, so here is the stuffed squash recipe I created tonight!



Autumn Harvest Stuffed Squash

Ingredients
2 Acorn Squash
1C canellini beans(great northern or white beans-any bean will do actually)
1C rice of your choice(I used TJ's Wild Rice Medley with veggies)+water or veggie broth
10oz chunky cut mushrooms
1-2C kale destemmed and torn into bite size pieces.
small diced celery, red pepper, and carrots
1-2 Large cloves garlic
1 Shallot finely diced
1t thyme
crushed red pepper
cracked pepper
sea salt

Directions
First, cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.Next bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 for about 40-45 minutes. While the squash is cooking prepare the rice according to package directions. In a large pan(I found a wok to be convenient) water sautee the shallots, carrots, celery, peppers, and mushrooms until all are soft(you could use EVOO if you prefer, but I chose not to add the fat). Then add in the kale until wilted. Stir in the beans and rice. Stuff the squash with this mixture and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes-just to give the outside rice a little crunch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment