Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Italian Pasta(less) Salad




The garden is finally producing fresh veggies and pretty soon I will be overrun with fresh tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, and cucumbers... Though, I am definitely not complaining! Its almost a hundred degrees here and in these temps I love a good fresh cold salad- and today's garden finds made just the perfect salad! Occasionally I will add in some gluten-free pasta but today I decided to use zucchini in place of the pasta. I use a spiral slicer but you could also use a julienne slicer.

Summer Pasta-less Salad Italian Style

1 zucchini cut noodle-like
20 cherry tomatoes quartered
20 medium olives quartered
1 sweet banana pepper chopped
½ medium cucumber quartered and diced
2tbs of your favorite Italian dressing
2-3 fresh basil leaves finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to a boil then add zucchini noodles. Cook for 2-3 minutes just until soft. Blanch them in cold water then strain them and set aside to finish draining(you may have to press them a bit). Place all vegetable ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Best served chilled.

Notes:
Try this with carrots, broccoli, any veggies you like!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy Rikki! think I'll try it tonight. Too cool that you are doing a blog!

    ReplyDelete